Teen History Docent Training Classes are forming. 5 choices for training from October 2013 through early April 2014. Small groups of teens will train to give tours using the new Digital Storyboard technology at the Library’s Local History Room and at the Richardson House museum. Sierra Madre‘s Library received a grant from the state to train the teen volunteers as history docents.
Teens will get instruction and practice on public speaking, learn about local history, and get a window on careers that support history and historic preservation. The overall commitment for training and touring is approximately 12 hours spread out over 5 weeks. Teens can choose the training days and sessions that best fit their schedules.
Teens, age 13 and up, interested in becoming a volunteer history docent can choose from 5 different training sessions on different weekday afternoons/evenings at the Sierra Madre Library. There are still a few openings for the first class session and multiple openings for sessions 2 – 5. Teens should select one of the following:
- Session One - The first class session starts on Tuesday October 29th and meets on 4 Tuesdays from 4:30 to 6:00 pm and on 2 Saturdays, 10 am – 12 noon with the session culminating on Saturday, November 23rd.
- Session Two - The second class session starts on Wednesday November 13th and meets on 2 Wednesdays before December and reconvenes on Wednesday, January 15 for 2 more Wednesdays and two Saturdays, 10 am to 12 noon, culminating on Saturday, February 1st (2014). PLEASE NOTE: The class time on Wednesdays will be from 6:30 to 8:00 pm.
- Session Three - The third class session starts on Tuesday January 21st (2014) and meets on 4 Tuesdays from 4:30 to 6:00 pm and on 2 Saturday mornings, 10 am to 12 noon, with the session culminating on Saturday, March 1st..
- Session Four - The fourth class session starts on Monday, February 10th (2014) and meets on 4 Mondays from 4:30 to 6:00 pm and on 2 Saturday mornings, 10 am to 12 noon, with the session culminating on Saturday, March 23rd.
- Session Five - The final class session starts on Thursday, March 6th and meets on 4 Thursdays from 4:15 to 5:45 pm PLEASE NOTE TIME and on 2 Saturday mornings, 10 am to 12 noon, with the session culminating on Saturday, April 5th.
Volunteer Applications are available at the Library and online. Please contact Teen Docent Coordinator Diane Siegel at email@example.com if you are interested or have questions.