The Sierra Madre Public Library, begun in 1887, is the fourth oldest city library in Los Angeles County and the tenth oldest in Southern California. The current building of 8,762 square feet houses a collection of about 70,000 cataloged items and a historical archives collection. The Library Services Department is one of seven departments of the City of Sierra Madre and offers a wide range of library services to adults, teens and children. Services are expanded through participation in the Southern California Library Cooperative, a network of 45 area libraries.
The Sierra Madre Public Library is a community library dedicated to providing equal access to information services and programs reflecting diverse points of view, always endeavoring to be responsive to changing needs of the community, to preserving its history, and to meeting the challenges of the future. The library provides a welcoming environment, quality materials and technologies, and professional, dedicated staff.
The Sierra Madre Public Library upholds the public's right to know, and:
- Provides collections of both contemporary interest and permanent value reflecting residents' current and ongoing interests and popular culture, in the formats and quantities that meet their needs.
- Offers community members opportunities to gather to discuss issues and learn together and to share new experiences in the arts, sciences, and technologies.
- Provides the technologies, including new multi-media resources, required to support a growing home-based business clientele and lifelong learners.
- Preserves and makes available to researchers materials emphasizing the history of Sierra Madre and environs.
- Makes available information, materials, and programs that will increase residents' cultural awareness of the broader community in the San Gabriel Valley and Los Angeles County.
Revised and adopted by the Sierra Madre Public Library Board of Trustees on September 25, 2003.
Library CLOSED for the following Holidays in 2013 as listed below:
|Day / Date||Holiday|
|Tuesday, January 1||New Year's Holiday|
|Monday, January 21||Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day|
|Monday, February 18||Presidents' Day|
|Monday, May 27||Memorial Day|
|Thursday, July 4||Independence Day|
|Monday, September 2||Labor Day|
|Monday, October 14||Columbus Day|
|Monday, November 11||Veterans Day|
|Thursday, November 28||Thanksgiving Holiday|
|Friday, November 29||Thanksgiving Holiday|
|Tuesday, December 24||Open 10:00 am to 2:00 pm|
|Wednesday, December 25||Closed|
|Tuesday, December 31||Open 10:00 am to 2:00 pm|
|Wednesday, January 1, 2014||Closed|